Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Salsa

I'm a sucker for dips of any kind. If I can stick chips, crackers, or chewy bread in it, then it's usually a win for me. But be careful, if you put a dip in front of me, it might be gone before you have a chance to get any for yourself.

I was never very much of a salsa person though. Even now, I still prefer cheese based dips (or cheese based anything). But homemade salsa is pretty tasty stuff, and my husband can't get enough of it, so I make it from time to time. Salsa is one of those things that you keep adding stuff to until it tastes right, so it's hard to nail down a perfect recipe. I did write down everything I added this time, but keep in mind that salsa is an imperfect science.

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
1-4 jalapeños (start with one and keep adding until the salsa is hot enough and no longer has a tomato flavor. Jalapeños really vary so you never know how hot or mild they will be when you buy them).
1-2 tsp chopped garlic (I thought my last batch was a little garlicy. Again, start with one tsp and add a little more if necessary)
2-3 tsp salt (salt helps bring out the other flavors)
1/4 - 1/2 c green chile (I use frozen green chile but if you live in an area where this is unavailable, try buying some salsa verde from your store's Mexican food aisle).
2 tsp lime juice
cilantro to taste (pinch off a couple leaves and blend until you are happy with the flavor)

I cut off the tops of the jalapeños and throw all the ingredients in the blender. Pulse the ingredients until you can't see any larger chunks. Taste with a chip and add what you feel may be missing. Remember that the flavors might be stronger after the salsa sits for a while.

Picture coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment