Monday, July 25, 2011

100 ways to eat a pancake

I'm not going to lie. I'm really not big on meeting new people and making new friends. Perhaps it's some kind of residual stranger anxiety tracing back to my toddler-hood. Perhaps it relates to my secluded childhood home in the Colorado mountains. Perhaps my first college roommate is right and I simple have an "aura of darkness." Whatever the reason, I don't look forward to social functions or gatherings that don't involve a carefully hand-picked circle of friends.

Unfortunately for me, I recently moved to a new state, leaving that carefully hand-picked circle far behind. Amidst the whir of welcoming picnics with my husbands co-workers, visits from neighbors, and salutations from church members, I found myself in possession of a Friendship Bread starter. It didn't take me long to realize the conflict between Friendship Bread and my reclusive nature. I could clearly visualize my pantry filling up with with bags and bags of batter. I could see my counters strewn with bread pans and spilt milk, my hair dusted with flour.

On the other hand, I thought of knocking on my neighbors' doors, in one hand a neatly wrapped loaf of golden bread, and in the other, a squishy bag of gooey batter. I could see the fake smile hiding the nervousness on my face and the fake smile hiding my neighbor's lack of interest in my offering. This option sounded more unappealing than the first. I was tempted to simply through the starter away and scrap the whole endevour.

Instead, I turned for help to the great and unfailing champion for introverts everywhere: Google; and I quickly found the ultimate solution to my problem: Pancakes. Pancakes are truly amazing things.
  1. My kids eat them
  2. You can eat them for any meal of the day
  3. There are more ways to eat a pancake than one blog post can identify
  4. You can freeze them!
It was settled then. I would finally have a way to easily make more pancakes than my 4 year old could eat in one meal. I would never have to wake up early in the morning to make mountains and mountains of pancakes to satisfy the bottomless pancake receptacles of my children. I would be the Queen of Pancakes.

The problem? I'm not really into that whole fermented yeast flavor that is the inevitable outcome of leaving a  yeast-flour-sugar-milk mixture in your pantry for 10 days. I made up my first batch of pancakes and thought they tasted awful. The kids wouldn't even eat them. In fact they haven't wanted to eat pancakes since!

But the actual friendship bread tasted yummy. Why? The recipe is packed with cinnamon, sugar, vanilla pudding . . .  all kinds of yummy flavors to hide that less appealing "sourdough" taste. So I'm not giving up on the pancakes, I just have to find new and interesting ways to mask their original flavor.

Like I said, the great thing about pancakes is that they are so versatile. You can top them, you can fill them, you can drown them. You can eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack.

I am now on a quest to find 100 different ways to eat a pancake.

#1 of course will always be good old fashioned Pancakes with butter and syrup. It's classic, it's yummy, and comfortable. It's hard to beat this option (unless you are eating Amish Friendship Pancakes -  then it's somewhat sad and yucky).

1 comment:

  1. I have said it once and I will say it again, I really do love pancakes!!! I also love friendship bread, I say just go for it, make some up and take it out.

    ReplyDelete